Zithromax (Azithromycin) 250mg
A macrolide antibiotic, Zithromax is used to treat mild to moderate infections. It works by reducing the production of proteins and slowing the growth of certain bacteria. Used either on its own or with other antibiotics, Zithromax can also e used for infections in patients with advanced HIV, and other conditions advised by your doctor.
Method of Use
It is recommended that Zithromax is taken orally with food, to reduce stomach upset, at approximately the same time each day. Do not take aluminium or magnesium based antacid within 2 hours, before or after, taking Zithromax. Always finish the prescribed course to ensure that any infection has completely cleared. If you miss a dose of Zithromax, take a tablet as soon as you remember, unless this is close to your next scheduled dose. If it is, miss that dose and then return to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
If you take Lasix once a day and miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember but it must be within 12 hours of the missed dose. If more than 12 hours as elapsed, miss that dose and then return to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
If you take Lasix more than once a day and miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember but it must be within 2 hours of the missed dose. If more than 2 hours as elapsed, miss that dose and then return to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Zithromax tablets are to be stored at room temperature, between 59°F and 86°F (15-30°C), in its original container, tightly closed and away from heat, light and moisture. Do not store Zithromax in the bathroom. Zithromax constituted suspension must be stored between 41°F and 86°F (5-30°C). Shake well before use (the oversized bottle provides shaking room). The product must be kept out of the reach of children and pets at all times. Any medication that is out of date, usually within 10 days, should be disposed of safely (any pharmacist will be able to advise you on disposal instructions).
- you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast feeding;
- you are taking prescription and/or non-prescription drugs, herbal preparations or dietary supplements;
- you are allergic to any medications, foods or other substances;
- you have a liver or kidney complaint, or abnormal heart rhythms;
- you are taking Rifampin (it may reduce Zithromax’s effectiveness);
- you are taking any anticoagulants, such as Warfarin, digoxin or disopyramide (they may increase the risk of side effects); or
- you are taking theophylline (blood levels may be temporarily reduced after using Zithromax).
Potential Side Effects
If you experience any of the following side effects, seek emergency medical treatment and notify your doctor as soon as possible. Possible side effects include:
- diarrhoea, loose or bloody stools;
- upset stomach, stomach pain;
- nausea, vomiting;
- allergic reactions, such as rash, hives or itching;
- breathing difficulties, tightness of the chest, chest pain;
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue;
- dark red or raised areas of the skin;
- yellowing of the skin or eyes; and
- loss of hearing, ringing in the ears.
Do not share Zithromax with anyone else. It is recommended that you always complete a prescribed course. Do not use Zithromax at a later date for a different infection, unless advised by your doctor.
Please note that the above list is not complete and other side effects may occur. Should any other side effects happen, consult your doctor as soon as possible.